Recent Storm Damage Posts
When it Rains it Pours?
Flooding damage to Las Vegas Residents home after a heavy rainstorm.
In the Las Vegas Valley we don’t see a whole lot of The wet stuff falling from the skies! With an average rainfall per year of 4.2 inches we receive less than almost any other location in the Country. As excited as we get when we do get showers, it can tragically wreak havoc on our roads and very dry property. This is no exception to house roofs in the valley. A heavy downpour in a short period of time can end in near catastrophic water damage inside your home. At SERVPRO of Centennial Hills we have 24 hours emergency service crews available to respond to any size flood damage whether it be a roof leak or broken pipe. SERVPRO of Centennial Hills will be there to assist you with our fast and always friendly Technicians with the knowledge to handle any situation you may face. We are standing by 24hrs a day 7days a week. 702-947-0947.
Insane facts about lightning
Lightning Storm over the Las Vegas skyline.
The Las Vegas skies are no stranger to the amazing light shows that a lightning storm can bring. We found some crazy facts about lightning that we would like to share.
*Lightning can create heat three times hotter than the surface of the sun. Although lightning it self has no temperature.
* Lightning can strike the same place more than once. The Empire State Building is reportedly struck about 23 times a year.
* A single lightning bolt can strike more than one place at the same time.
* Lightning bolts are actually very thin measuring between one and seven inches in diameter.
*Lightning channels have been reported to measure as long as 90 miles.
*Florida experiences more lightning than any other state in the U.S., while Venezuela has more than anywhere on earth.
*Thunder can not exist without lightning.
*A single lightning bolt can have up to a billion volts of electricity.
* more than one billion lightning strikes hit earth each year.
Lightning shows can be beautiful to see in the night sky but can also be dangerous. Lightning is reportedly responsible for an estimated 24,000 deaths worldwide each year. Stay safe!
Have a SERVPRO “ERP” Plan
This is bound to happen. Mother Nature controls the weather and we must be prepared. Schedule a time with SERVPRO of Centennial Hills.
The Centennial Hills SERVPRO Team enjoys getting out to local businesses and residents to introduce the Emergency Response Plan in the event of a major loss. This plan gives businesses the tool they need to get things back to normal when experiencing a Water, Fire, and Mold loss. Give us a call so we can come out and sign you up for free.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business/home.
1. No cost assessment of your business/residence.
2. Takes very little time to complete and gives critical information needed in the event of an Emergency.
3. A guide to help you safely get back into your Establishment.
4. Establishes SERVPRO of Centennial Hills Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
5. Establishes a line of command for your business on who authorizes the work to begin.
6. Provides facility engineering details of where shut off valves and electrical shut offs are.
Having a Emergency Ready plan in place empowers you to have complete control during a chaotic moment and the best SERVPRO team at your fingertips.
Preparing for a flood
Turn around don't drown! Stay safe during flash floods.
Flood damage can be devastating for homeowners and restoring normality after water damage is no easy task. Las Vegas residents have seen the massive flooding in the valley, cars being swept away, and rescue mission from first responders but what we don't always see is the damage done to the homes after the flood. SERVPRO of Centennial Hills has some tips for those that live in known flood zones or even for those who want be proactive in safeguarding their property.
- During stormy weather conditions, lock all doors and windows
- Place sandbags around door and window openings: keep sandbags in your garage or storage to be prepared for these occasions
- Collect other emergency materials like buckets, plywood, waterproof plastic sheeting, duct tape, and shovels
- Listen out for flood alerts in your area
- Run through an emergency procedure with your family – plan what you will do and where you will go if a flood hits
- Ensure everyone in the house knows how to shut off utilities in an emergency
- Store your important documents and valuable items in a secure, high location – like a secure water-tight safe stored on top of a wardrobe, or in the highest point of your house
- Install flood-proof doors in your home (or at least the outside doors) to prevent all possible water from entering the property.
We hope these tips have helped you prepare for future floods, whether you reside in Vegas or elsewhere. Remember to keep safe and seek shelter on high ground as soon as possible during flooding.
Frozen pipes during frigid winter weather.
When you think of Las Vegas you think of blistering hot summer days, after all Las Vegas is among the 10 hottest cities. If you are new to Las Vegas then freezing pipes may be at the bottom of the list when it comes to your concerns as a homeowner but during the winter months temperatures can drop to the low 30's.
It is important to take the necessary measures to prevent pipes from freezing during the frigid temperatures. Burst pipes can result in property destruction, health hazards and even financial burden.
We hope you find the following tips helpful in caring for your pipes during the winter months.
*Ensure your pipes are well insulated. Pay special attention to outside water piping.
*Apply heat tape to your outside water pipes. Wrapping pipes with heat tape can help slow the freezing process down.
*Keep your thermostat on when traveling out of town. Avoid setting the thermostat below 55 degrees when leaving.
*Leave a tiny trickle of water running from the faucets. While we do not recommend to waist water, a small steady stream is a proven strategy.
Making preventive pipe maintenance a priority is always best practice.
Discoloration and bubbling in the ceiling from rain water leaking through the roof.
Here in Las Vegas we can go 100+ days with no rain but we are no stranger to heavy rainstorms in the valley. We often see news reports about flash flooding and traffic accidents but we do not always hear about the damages it causes to homes here in Las Vegas. The most common issue SERVPRO of Centennial Hills comes across during or even after a rain storm is a roof leak. Normal wear and tear on a roof can lead to a leak during a storm. Heavy winds can also cause damage to the roof then result in a leak. Water travels through the damaged area and begins to pool on a flat surface. As the amount of water increases and time passes by the materials begin to weaken. You can see in this photos the discoloration caused by the water pooling. You can also see the water has saturated the drywall causing a bubble to form in the paint. You then risk the potential growth of mold and mildew. It is important to have trained professionals like SERVPRO of Centennial Hills arrive on site as soon as possible to remove the damaged materials and begin the process of drying the structure to eliminate further damage.