Preparing for a flood
Flood damage can be devastating for homeowners and restoring normality after water damage is no easy task. Las Vegas residents have seen the massive flooding in the valley, cars being swept away, and rescue mission from first responders but what we don't always see is the damage done to the homes after the flood. SERVPRO of Centennial Hills has some tips for those that live in known flood zones or even for those who want be proactive in safeguarding their property.
- During stormy weather conditions, lock all doors and windows
- Place sandbags around door and window openings: keep sandbags in your garage or storage to be prepared for these occasions
- Collect other emergency materials like buckets, plywood, waterproof plastic sheeting, duct tape, and shovels
- Listen out for flood alerts in your area
- Run through an emergency procedure with your family – plan what you will do and where you will go if a flood hits
- Ensure everyone in the house knows how to shut off utilities in an emergency
- Store your important documents and valuable items in a secure, high location – like a secure water-tight safe stored on top of a wardrobe, or in the highest point of your house
- Install flood-proof doors in your home (or at least the outside doors) to prevent all possible water from entering the property.
We hope these tips have helped you prepare for future floods, whether you reside in Vegas or elsewhere. Remember to keep safe and seek shelter on high ground as soon as possible during flooding.